Thursday, April 23, 2009

Life of a tutor and working student

To sum it all up: Tired!!! Haha, yeah... it's rily tiring but satisfying at the same time...

At the start of my 3rd sem, I tot that it shud be time 4 me to "accumulate" some working experiences as I will be entering the hectic working field soon. So I thought that by working part time would give me a good taste of how a working life is like. With that thought in mind, I just send out ONE application letter to one of the professor at the Uni who is currently the head of the lab. This lab is not the chemistry lab that one usually thinks of. It's a lab whereby specimen, like spare parts in cars, machine etc, undergoes severe testing inside those test-machines, so that their fatigue, Ultimate Tensile strength, Young's Modulus, break point, etc can be calculated. U might ask y send only one application. Well, i dunno the answer as well. :b

N thank God that my application got approved by the professor, although he knew that im a foreigner who doesnt speak much german. God surely does know how to provide. After a few discussions abt wat shud i do, how much shud i earn etc, I finally get to start working. MY FIRST JOB IN GERMANY!! How cool is that?

My job is not something that i can rily boast about. Just some text editting, picture editting, Graph plotting, report writing etc... n also run errands 4 the prof, like collecting his parcel n posts. Basically im just a helper, or office boy. But hey, it's quite an experience as well. It's something totally different from my previous job in Msia: Promoting drinks at a supermarket. One common thing i get from these jobs is the chance to learn humility.

N that's it. My timetable looks more packed now. In addition to my lectures i got an extra 4 hrs on Wed n Fri of part time work. Which also means i have 8 hrs of free time less in a week.

Wait. It shud be 10 hrs less, if my tutorial session is added into it. In my previous post I have mentioned that I have applied to b a tutor for electotechnic. I just had my 1st teaching session last tues. Teaching isnt easy, especially when ur students are germans, who like to ask weird questions. One example: a student asked me, why is there a dt instead of t at the end of the integral of Q(t). (Q(t)=Ixt, electric charge equals to the multiplication of current and time) How to explain oh? it's maths stuff ma... we learned this in form 5 in msia (Integration = pengamiran in BM). zzz. But thank God that the students could understand me well despite my inadequate german proficiency. Overall it was a nice experience teaching ppl whom i did not know, and also getting their thanks after solving problems 4 them.

I guess life will be busier 4 the next few weeks. Got to hand up our assignments soon. N with these extra jobs, i guess time is not on my side. Got to persevere on...

3 comments:

Kevin said...

Haha, sorry, the last msg was sent n deleted by me, wrote wrong thing d hehe
Btw u siok lo, can earn €, can treat me eat when i see you in Europe next time, including when you come France lol
Who are your students wor? Juniors in ur Uni?

kaya said...

eh your German quite fluent what. Last time on train heard you spoke to your German friend quite fluent lo, me here still cacat >_<"

Dann~ said...

in France still wan me treat u eat? haiyo... u shud treat me instead... I just remembered that someone 4got my birthday hor....haha... The students r my juniors in my uni lo. Same course but one semester slower than me.

Fluent? haha... no la... still broken... or shud i say, still got lotsa room 4 improvement. U cant compare with me ma, since u r not learning german in germany.